Thursday, January 3, 2013

Would you Like an Outhouse?

My grandparents still had their old outhouse standing when I was a kid. It was at the end of a long sidewalk, out near the rose trellis in their yard. It was no longer needed at that point, as they had long had indoor plumbing by then. As a kid, I found it pretty interesting with its creaky old door and spider webs inside. This painting brought back old memories of my grandparents farm as I worked on it.



Speaking of outhouses, have you heard of a "privy dig"? I first heard of it about a dozen years ago, while looking at some antique doll parts. There are people who dig out old outhouses to find old bottles, and other interesting household items, that were disposed of there. Some valuable things have been found in old privy's.

This painting is currently available: FRANCE GALLERY

Subscribe to France Gallery ~ American Heartland Landscape Paintings by Email

No comments: